Travelling Abroad with your pet

When travelling with your pet dog, cat or ferret abroad, what you need to do will depend on which country you’re going to. Travel requirements and restrictions can change.
It is your responsibility to check you are compliant with the rules of the country you are travelling to. Further information is available at or the Pet Travel Scheme Helpline : 0370 241 1710

For travel to an EU country or Northern Ireland your pet will need:-

  • A Microchip
  • A Valid Rabies Vaccination
  • An Animal Health Certificate (AHC) or pet passport that is accepted in the country you are travelling to. The EU no longer accepts British Pet Passports.
  • Tapeworm treatment for dogs 24-120hours prior to travelling directly to Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta.

In order for us to provide an AHC you will need to contact us to arrange two appointments. The first appointment will need to be 7-10 days before you travel, you will need to bring your pet with you at this appointment. The second appointment will be where we issue the certificate to you, we will not need to see your pet. We require a minimum of 48hours to complete the AHC. Once you have made both appointments our reception team will email you a form for you to return to us to enable us to complete the AHC accurately.

At your visit you’ll need to bring proof of your pet’s:-

  • Microchipping date
  • Rabies vaccination history

Your pet’s AHC will be valid after the date of issue for:

  • 10 days for entry into the EU or Northern Ireland
  • 4 months for onward travel within the EU
  • 4 months for re-entry to Great Britain
  • Your pet will need a new AHC for each trip to an EU country or Northern Ireland from Great Britain.

Your pet will still require a tapeworm treatment to be administered by a veterinarian in Europe. This will need to be recorded on their AHC 24-120 hours prior to re-entry into the UK.